Friday, January 05, 2007

Forgiveness

Proverbs 17:9 He that covereth a transgression seeketh love; but he that repeateth a matter separateth very friends.

You never let me forget, do you?
“Look, I said I was sorry a hundred times. I lied, I was wrong. It won’t ever happen again!”

It happened every time they got into an argument. He knew he had done wrong, but he had asked forgiveness a dozen times. It would cool down, but then somehow it would come up and start another argument. If only he would let go of it, but no, he always held it over his head, It hurt to know that he wasn’t forgiven. He had blown it and was truly sorry, but to be reminded of it over and over made him feel like a heel. He didn’t know how much longer he could hear about it before it would begin to affect their friendship.

True forgiveness only occurs when we treat the subject as a closed matter. If we bring up old hurts whenever feelings fly, then we have never really forgiven.
To hold a grudge is to build a wall between yourself and another person. Forgiveness breaks down walls. Christ came to break down walls and lead people to reconciliation. Before true healing can occur, though, we must let loose of all old hurts and start fresh.
Forgiveness gives us the clean start we need to heal all wounds. With God’s help, we can grow closer than ever before.
Oh Lord, teach me how to drop old hurts into the sea of forgetfulness as you have done for me and to truly forgive those who have hurt me. Fill me with your grace, that I might learn how to be graceful to others……AMEN

2 comments:

Pete said...

Hello Sister Katie, please keep up the good work.

Katie said...

Hi Bro Pete....thank you and you do the same...GLORY to GOD!